Let’s see if anyone will bite..
New WordPress Out Again!! And for the life of me, even if I’ve been webmastering in the wonderful of WordPress for years now, I still don’t enjoy the process of upgrading, unassuaged* by the fact I have to do it 3 times every time (I have 3 blogs, not including this).
At any rate, further investigation (highly recommended everytime a new release of anything – drupal, phpbb, etc., comes out), has shown an easier way.
It’s all, as always, on the WP Blog. Apparently most of the hullabaloo has to do with, to quote, an “XML-RPC implementation such that a specially crafted request would allow a user to edit posts of other users on that blog“, assuming you allow registration. Ergo, merely replacing the xmlprc.php file will suffice! Here’s the link to that.
I detailed here an annoying issue with Kikay Ex that happened after the Big Server Move a few weeks back. For some odd reason, after the move all the previous internal links were appended with ‘index.php’. For example:
what used to be
The problem was that I was using a wp-plugin called ClickCounter which is attractive because if you mouse over a link, a little message will popup showing how many times it’s been clicked, like this:
It’s not completely reliable (it doesn’t count right-click ‘open in a new window’, for example), but it at least gives a fairly good representation of how popular a link is. A good guess, I suppose, is that it misses approximately 20% more clicks.
Warning, highly techie post. All those looking for my usual touchy feely posts please move along now, nothing to see here. Just documenting a disaster of a Permalinks error on WordPress below, which I posted at the WordPress Forum. Posting it below again to document it, to help anyone who has to go through same and so I can keep a record of this sorta crap.
All my 2.1.3 wordpress sites, which had been around since wp 1.5, used to use the structure:
ever since a recent server host move, the sites have started to insist on the ff. structure:
Appending the ‘index.php’ to all my URLs is a complete disaster as I use the Click Counter by Ozh plugin to count my most clicked links. These all now go to 404 pages. I really wanna keep using this as it has been recording my hits since forever.
I tried putting it back to without the index.php but it doesn’t work out, resulting in errors.
After hours of this:
I finally got this:
Which led to this:
And I celebrated by putting up a new template, called typoxpreloaded (hey i dont know where he got the name from either).
At any rate, am following up on a great deal of backlog work, starting with enhancements to Pwit, trying to put a new template at movie ex (which was unsuccessful, so i left it at state for the moment as it is too big a job to undertake for now. Also, whilst searching for templates, I found this one, hence the change), and hopefully by tomorrow, updates to Kikay Ex and some very very long awaited improvements to a client’s site and some new ones.
These, along with immediate plans to make PLDT own up to the lack of service (from feb 17 to yest, mar 2) by faxing them a letter telling them not to bill me, an article I wanna work on but can’t (explain later), and a myriad other things, including a big Nike sale at Megamall (!!!).
I missed it, but the episode was aired last October 11, 2006. From the Probe Team archive:
Have shoes, will travel. But then, who said you needed shoes to see the world? Change that to: have book, will see the world! Reading affords one the opportunity of being to so many places in the world, of going through vicarious experiences, and of feeling a gamut of emotions. The problem begins though when you can’t even afford to buy books. The good news is, a group of volunteers, headed by librarian Troy Lacsamana opened a children’s library in Barangay Paltok, Quezon City and they conduct storytelling sessions on Saturdays. This library is giving the chance to children in the neighborhood to their right to learn, have fun, and truly be children!
I would just like to say that at this very moment, I am downloading mysql, php and phpmyadmin onto my computer, as well as setting up IIS to enable XP to locally host a Drupal project which I am working on at the moment.
Whilst I would look forward to such activity at the early stages of my learning several years ago, and consequently look fondly back to those days today, I am wont to install these things at present time because a. they are a hassle to install and b. I’d rather work on the live version I’ve uploaded on my hosted webserver, and c. I’ve got a bajillion things to do other than f$#%!@cking set these things up. Things like, look for clients, prepare ad campaigns, strategize with the ballex, kikays and momex people, climb every mountain, forge every stream, etc. etc.
Yep that’s how my PR would read if I were to make one. Or maybe ‘Kikay Exchange takes off with 6 members and 15 posts in two days!‘.
I figured it was time to make one of my howtos. The Drupal UPGRADE.TXT file is fairly straightforward:
- Backup your database and Drupal directory – especially your configuration file in ‘sites/default/settings.php’.
- Log on as the user with user ID 1.
- Remove all the old Drupal files then unpack the new Drupal files into the directory that you run Drupal from.
- Modify the new configuration file to make sure it has the latest and correct information.
- Run update.php by visiting http://www.example.com/update.php.
But everyone knows things aren’t usually as they seem, so I went ahead and made a whole drupal howto on my own with pictures and everything. Here goes: